Wilderness First Aid - Mountain Bikers
This Wilderness First Aid Course has been developed specifically for Mountain Bikers. Being prepared on the trail will help you, your family, and the team when an emergency happens. Be prepared with this specialty class.
General Course Information
Information-filled slide presentation covering wilderness and remote first aid from a basic understanding of emergency response in an outdoor setting to specific techniques and considerations for a wide range of injuries and illnesses.
Course topics include:
- Preparation for help, Scene Size Up and Assessment
- Performing a Hands-on Physical Exam
- Preventing and Caring for Injuries and Illnesses; Controlling bleeding, Shock
- Environmental Hazards
- Vital Signs and Patient Evaluation
- Other Wilderness Considerations
- Cold Injuries: Recognize and treat frostbite. Learn techniques for prevention and treatment of hypothermia in the backcountry.
MSTI has taken its specialized core of instructors to develop specialized concepts within the outdoor enthusiast’s interest, special equipment, and needs. Under the ASHI Wilderness First Aid guidelines, these classes have been created with and for the specific area of interest in the outdoors. Below list the various specialty areas currently available to enhance the first aid learning experience. This class will include a remote outdoor setting to better prepare and care for and evacuate an ill or injured person.
- All mountain bikers who ride anywhere and anytime
- Extreme sports competitors, especially those on off-road courses
- All mountain bike teams, pacers, and support crew
- Family, friends, and others out on the mountain bike experience and trip
- On-hands patient contact will be required during this course and as part of the skills assessments.
- Finding and creating your own splints, stretchers and other devices will be required during the performance of the skills process.
- You will learn the types of equipment to use for different injuries. You will select the type of equipment you wish to carry and bring what you will use during the field skills session.
- THIS COURSE WILL BE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS AND WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE.
PLEASE BE PREPARED FOR ALL TYPES OF WEATHER, YOU MAY GET WET, DIRTY AND OR SWEATY
Qualified applicants are considered for certification without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability.
- This Course is developed to provide the necessary training and skills to take the American Health and Safety Institution (ASHI) Exam
- The Wilderness First Aid course is designed to give the knowledge and creative concepts to perform the job under unusual situations and when help is hours or days away.
- Reading and comprehension at a 6th-grade level, or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 14 years old
- Physical and mental ability to perform the skills, tasks, and administrative requirements necessary for the job
- AHA BLS CPR/AED certification required. If not current or soon to expire, classes will be be available to take through MSTI
Course Completion Requirements
- Performance evaluation: All students must perform required skills competently without assistance to receive a certification card
- You will need to bring your bike and other normal equipment normally carried on each trip
- Determining your medical equipment and bringing what you will use during the course will be part of the skills sessions in the field
- Pass a written exam with a score of at least 80%
- The certification card is included in course good for 2-years
This course is an ASHI Training Course.
More information on this course can be found on the links below.
WFA - 4MBIndividual Price
PRICE LISTED IS PER PERSON
Course Registraion Required In Advance
List Item #3
WFA - TEAMCOURSE COST PER PERSON
PRICE LISTED IS PER PERSON
Register a team of 4 or more
Course Registration Required In Advance
WFA - GROUPCOURSE COST PER PERSON
HOSTED AT YOUR LOCATION
More than 15 people
Sponsored/Invited by host