Wilderness First Aid - ASHI Course
Wilderness environments create special situations not usually encountered in an urban or suburban environment. With an ASHI Wilderness First Aid class, first aid providers in a remote outdoor setting will be better prepared to respond when faced with limited resources, longer times to care for someone, and decisions about when and how fast to evacuate an ill or injured person.
General Course Information
Information-filled slide presentation covering wilderness and remote first aid from a basic understanding of emergency response in an outdoor setting to specific techniques and considerations for a wide range of injuries and illnesses.
Course topics include:
- Preparation for help, Scene Size Up and Assessment
- Performing a Hands-on Physical Exam
- Preventing and Caring for Injuries and Illnesses; Controlling bleeding, Shock
- Environmental Hazards
- Vital Signs and Patient Evaluation
- Other Wilderness Considerations
- Cold Injuries: Recognize and treat frostbite. Learn techniques for prevention and treatment of hypothermia in the backcountry.
- Anyone who spends time outdoors and away from the city
- Endurance sports competitors, especially those on off-road courses where help may take a while to contact or arrive
- Those who go off-road. If you are an ATV/UTV rider, mountain biker, runner, hiker, hunters, or camper this course can save your life or those in your group.
- Wilderness or camp counselors, staff, instructors, and other high adventure events, including tubing and white water or river rafting
- Scouting USA, boy scouts, girl scouts, scouting leadership for younger groups. This comprehensive 16-hour wilderness first aid course meets or exceeds the Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines, 2017 Edition.
- On-hands patient contact will be required during this course and as part of the skills assessments.
- Finding and creating your own splints, stretchers and other devices will be required during the performance of the skills process.
- THIS COURSE WILL BE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS AND WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE.
PLEASE BE PREPARED FOR ALL TYPES OF WEATHER, YOU MAY GET WET, DIRTY AND OR SWEATY
Qualified applicants are considered for certification without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability.
- This Course is developed to provide the necessary training and skills to take the American Health and Safety Institution (ASHI) Exam
- The Wilderness First Aid course is designed to give the knowledge and creative concepts to perform the job under unusual situations and when help is hours or days away.
- Reading and comprehension at a 6th-grade level, or equivalent.
- Minimum age of 16 years old
- Physical and mental ability to perform the skills, tasks, and administrative requirements necessary for the job
- AHA BLS CPR/AED certification. If not current or soon to expire, classes will be be available to take through MST6
Course Completion Requirements
- Performance evaluation: All students must perform required skills competently without assistance to receive a certification card
- Pass a written exam with a score of at least 80%
- The certification card is included in course good for 2-years
This course is an ASHI Training Course.
More information on this course can be found on the links below.
WFA-Basic Course $210
Intro class for family members and new outdoor enthusiasts.
WFA and CPR $230
16 hour course for Wilderness First Aid Plus addiotnal 3 hour CPR class.
WFA -Team/Family $195
Take your WFA class with your family, friends, or team and get discount pricing for your group of four.
Specialty Training WFA Course $275
WFA Course tailored specific to your outdoor specialty. Specific courses for Mountain Biking, Hiker/Camper/Hunters, RV/Campers
WFA-Group of 10+ $175
Hosting a location and having 10 or more people can greatly lower the cost for training. Pricing designed for business apps or organized team events.
WFA - INDIVIDUALCOURSE COST PER PERSON
PRICE LISTED IS PER PERSON
Course Registraion Required In Advance
List Item #3
WFA - TEAMCOURSE COST PER PERSON
PRICE LISTED IS PER PERSON
Register a team of 4 or more
Course Registration Required In Advance
WFA - GROUPCOURSE COST PER PERSON
HOSTED AT YOUR LOCATION
More than 15 people
Sponsored/Invited by host